Dalston sweater by ‘We are knitters’ review


This is the Dalston sweater by ‘We are knitters’. The color is seaside. It is knitted in “The meriwool” which is a thin 100% merino wool 1-ply yarn. I picked this kit because it is in the easy category. It took me about 25 hours of knitting time, including an hour and a half of sewing the pieces together.

This kit includes 7 balls of The petite wool for size large, a set of 5 mm knitting needles in wood, which I do not already have, a label that you can sew on the finished product (which said knitted by myself), and a couple sewing needles.

Cost breakdown: 7 skeins of yarn $168, the kit was $146 with the needles, $133 without the needles. So the pattern ended up costing nothing, and is cheaper to buy just the kit.

I could not get the tension right, so I knit this in a size X large, the garment turned out quite a bit smaller than the tension in the pattern. It is quite fitted on me, a size 8 US. It took all 7 skeins to make And not enough to make the collar.

The yarn is very soft, and I cannot help but bury my face in it quite a bit while I knit. I had to add 20 rows to the body and ended up with 130 rows for the sleeves. I was very disappointed in this kit. I went back and forth with WAK customer service, and they indicated that the model is wearing an XL.  Well, she is also a lot skinner than me, with much narrower shoulders, so the shoulder seam is very low on the upper arm, and the sleeves do not need to be as long. On hind sight, I should have knitted this with a bigger needle. Plus after about knitting for a year, I hate garter stitch, too boring, plus wastes a lot of yarn, takes more rows to come up with the same size compared to other stitches. Will I knit this again, Definitely no.

Only 16 inches long for the body according to the pattern. Ugh

The sleeves according the pattern, not long enough 



Comments

  1. I am having the same issues with this kit. I've probably knitted the front part 3 times now each time in different sizes and none of my efforts have come close to the dimensions illustrated in the pattern. It's unfortunate because the yarn is really lovely, but gosh I think most people would find this pattern incredibly frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email customer service with your pictures and how you knit it 3 times etc. They might replace your yarn. Or they might give you a discount off another kit.

      Delete

Post a Comment