Martina cardigan by ‘We are knitters’ review

Martina cardigan in pearl

This is the Martina cardigan by ‘We are knitters’.  The color is pearl. It is knitted in “The petite wool” which is a thin 100% wool 1-ply yarn. I am promoted to knitting an intermediate kit. It took me about 20 hours of knitting time, including an hour and a half of sewing the pieces together.

This kit includes 7 balls of The petite wool, a set of 8 mm knitting needles in wood, a label that you can sew on the finished product (which said knitted by myself), and a couple sewing needles. 

Cost breakdown: 7 skeins of yarn $98, the kit was $109 with the needles, $99 without the needles. So the pattern ended up costing nothing. I bought it in size large, which came with an extra skein. 

This is quite a boring knit, since the back piece is so big. It took 2 skeins to knit the back. Just garter  stitch is pretty boring. I followed the pattern but based on pictures I searched on the internet, I decided to take 10 rows off the sleeves from the beginning. I want the arm area to be roomy so I did not take the rows off at the end. A lot of the pictures I found, the person had to fold the sleeves up to a cuff since they are so long. 

One problem I had with the pattern is it said to make 2 fronts, with the same instructions. I know it is garter stitch but I will always know the right side is inside out since the instructions provided only the left front. So I actually decrease the end of the row for the right front piece. 

This is probably the best fit cardigan that I have knitted from “We are knitters”. I am very thrilled. I am 5 feet 3 inches tall, and by making the sleeves shorter, they came out perfect. See picture below. 
Sleeves 10 rows shorter than the pattern

The collar is knitted by putting all 5 pieces together, so you will need some double ended needles to hold the stitches instead of casting off. I love this so much that I knit one in bubblegum right away. Cannot wait to buy more yarn on sale and make a couple more.

Martina cardigan in bubblegum


Comments

  1. Nice review, I am knitting it and I will follow your idea to reduce the sleeves... I noticed also that there twice the same front, didn't dare to knit the opposite as you did, i hope I won't notice too much! I still have the 2 sleeves to knit, in green forest! Can't wait to wear it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so pretty. Did you block before sewing the pieces together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No blocking. This wool is pretty thick, will take forever to dry.

      Delete

Post a Comment