Ebbie cardigan by Alice Caetano review



Ebbie cardigan in Brooklyn Tweed Dapple


This is the Ebbie cardigan by Alice Caetano in Brooklyn Tweed Dapple. This cardigan caught my eye as soon as BT publishes the pattern. I waited for a little while because I had a hard time deciding which color to knit this in. So I kept looking in Ravelry to get an idea. The color featured in the pattern was Plinth, which is a light grey, and I decided to knit this in Seafoam since the ridges remind me of the ocean.

I knitted this in the 3rd size and the pattern called for 9 skeins of Dapple. I bought 10 so I would have a selection and I ended up using 8 and made the sleeves longer.

This pattern has more K1, M1, K2TOG and SSK that you can imagine. With close to 300 stitches on the needle, I highly recommend to use markers to divide the sections that repeat, because if not you would not be able to find your mistakes. I got to a stitch count checkpoint and realized  I had 9 more stitches. With all the M1, it is hard to unravel row by row too. So I just did 9 more SSK to compensate.

I labeled all the skeins from light to dark so I could go from dark in the center to light on the sleeves. But as my experience with Brooklyn Tweed quality, there seems to be a knot in 50% of the skeins, so one of the skeins had a knot in it and a totally different tone variation which created the darker stripe on the left side. I thought about not using that but then I would not have enough on the left sleeve and would have to use another tone variation, so I kept going instead.

Each section is built upon the rest of the garment, and it was getting too hot even though the yarn is wool/cotton mix. I finished May 2, 2022, and by then it is too hot in North Texas to even wear it in air condition. I did not block it since it is very soft and looked good as is.

A friend of mine bought me a gift card for my birthday and I decided that I am going to knit this again in Plinth, which would cos less “stress” on color placement.

Towards the end of summer, BT had their 3rd annual virtual warehouse sale and I was able to get 8 skeins of Dapple in the color Currant. 

I paid $4 a skein for Dapple seconds (plus shipping) and I got a wide assortment of color variation. Only 2 skeins remotely matched each other. I also got a lot of loose strands in the skeins which make untangling very challenging. It took me 2 hours to wind 8 skeins of yarn.

I had to weigh each skein since they are either short or over 50 g. I then had to only use half of each skein for each side to allow or the next side so hopefully both side will have the same gradient.

I have had problems with tangled yarn in BT Peerie twice and they were so tangled that I had to hand wind them. This time with these seconds in Dapple, I know that this problem exists and had not been corrected. Buying seconds is one thing but paying full price is another. I also buy a lot of Purl Soho and never had this problem. 

I have a huge proponent of buying American but these American mills either need to make the correction or label the yarn as seconds and twice I notify BT. I do not think I will buy any more Peerie full price. (My current Suburban is a special custom order from Chevy and it was made in a factory 5 miles from my home).

Loose strands in skeins to make untangling more challenging

Color variation in 8 skeins.



Comments