Shoji by Norah Gaughan review







Shoji in Brooklyn Tweed Arbor
Color: Thaw


This is the Shoji vest by Norah Gaughan in Brooklyn Tweed Arbor. I have always wanted to knit this ever since I started to learn how to knit in September 2017. What was holding me back was the cost as well as kpkp through out the pattern. About 75% was kpkp, and it gets old.

So I decided to knit one skein a month starting January 2021, and I finished it in September 2021. This vest can be worn both ways, by turning it upside down. I have to say that I am a US size 8 and not a big girl, this probably looks better on someone who is a size 2 or 4 and tall. 

This pattern is rated a 2 out of a 4, but if you want to do the short rows to shape the collar, it is now a 4 out of 5). I have not done short rows and probably cannot do it in a ribbed stitch, so I did not do the shaping. The pattern calls for 14 skeins and I used 12.

The main body of the garment is 90 inches long, mostly done in kpkp, very boring and not fun! It gets very warm on my lap in the Texas summer.

90 inch long body, not fun to knit

The body is then folded like origami and partially seamed together and the armholes left open. It is important to make sure the rows can be evenly divided since the pattern only gives it in inches since you want to have enough sets of rows to be evenly divided when folded.



The stitches are then picked up after the seaming to knit the collar. 

I do not know if it is easy to find a substitute yarn to knit this other than Brooklyn Tweed Arbor because this yarn really retains its shape and not drape all over you. I do not think this is a flattering shape. And at a cost of close to $200 in yarn, I definitely will not knit this again. 


Comments