Traveling Knit Afghan review Squares 19-24

 Lion brand is sponsoring this afghan and I am knitting this afghan in Lion Brand fisherman wool. It is 100% wool and it is $12.99 a skein. One skein is enoughto knit about 7 squares. For review of Traveling Knit Afghan Square 1-18, please see previous posts.

Square 19

Square 19 is designed by Trista Ziemendorf of While They Dream. This is another one of the very few squares to come out to 10 inch square. I choose to knit in a lighter color because I do not think this will show up in a dark color. This also comes out very squshy.

Square 20

Square 20 is designed by Heidi Gustad of Hands Occupied. This comes out very close to a 10 inch square but as you can tell it is wider than tall. This is fairly easy to block to the desired size, not a bad pattern for an blanket square.

Square 21

Square 21 is designed by Jewell Washington of Northknits. The finished square is smaller than a 10 inch square, not very stretchy and hard to block to a much bigger size. I had to use a steamer to stretch it. The pattern does show up well in a dark color though.

Square 22

Square 22 is designed by Destiny Meyer of Knifty Knittings. This is the kind of pattern that does not come out to an even square or triangle when starting from a corner. The picture above shows the square before blocking. It was not difficult to stretch and is a good pattern if you like to knit wash cloths.

Square 23

Square 23 is designed by Nathan Bryant of Loop N Threads. This is a very nice pattern, but I think it would do better in a larger square. Also as you can see from the picture above, itdoes not come out to an even square, it is wider than it is tall. It does look fairly 3 dimensional and show up in a dark color.

Square 24

Square 24 is designed by Vanessa Coscarelli of Vanessa knits. This square only came out to about 8 inches x 8 inches. I also do not like the edges on the side, kind of make it difficult to seam. I was only about to stretch it to about 9 inches x 9 inches.

Final product with all 24 squares sewn together, along with my youngest GSD Selene

So I waited and waited for the border pattern to come out, and it was disappointing to me. It was a seed stitch border. I cannot imagine knit purl knit purl like tomorrow and picking up stitches from 60 inch length and 40 inch width. So I decided that I am going to go without the border. 

Note: When I first started to pick the 3 colors out for this afghan, the landing page on Two of Wands website showed 25 empty slots. 4 squares wide and 6 squares high with a rectangle at the bottom. But the rectangle at the bottom did not have the word “Border” until much later, March/April time frame. My color layout was on the assumption of 5 squares x 5 squares. So the bottom row will have another square to the right in Oatmeal (beige). The second row up will have another square to the far right in dark brown, and so on. I even sewn 5 squares together and I did not realize it was not 25 squares until around square 10. I am still happy with it since it is very warm, 100% wool and only took 4 skeins to make. I bought my yarn at Joanns with a 20% coupon and it costs less than $50 to make, fairly economical.


Comments