Maron sweater (Sweater Club 2020) by Julie Hoover review

Maron sweater in Biches et Bûches Le Petit Lambswool
And Le Petit silk and mohair
Color: Blue Green

I have a love hate relationship with the Maron sweater/Biches et Bûches yarn. I love this yarn combo, it is very heavenly and warm, you want to bury your head in it while you knit. I hate it because if you make a mistake you cannot unravel much. 

This pattern is one of the two kits offered in the Julie Hoover Sweater Club 2020. In the past, you have to buy both patterns and at least yarn for one, but last fall, you can just buy each individual kit. 

I generally do not like pullovers, since I live in North Texas, hard to take off. But this yarn caught my attention, so that is how the story began. The description of the kit offered several colors, and said she would do her best to substitute any color available. I contacted her on instagram and asked if I could get it in pale pink. She replied not a problem, never said oh I only have 20 skeins of each or I am running low. I placed the order online and follow the directions and replied on the order confirmation that I would like pale pink instead. Ms. Hoover responded that she does not have pale pink anymore. There was no offer for refund or offer for me to choose the other kit instead. She just said pick another color. I was livid and disappointed at that point, having been a huge fan of her, that is not the type of customer service that I would expect. So anyways, I do not want any light color except pale pink. I am not fond of knitting dark colors because most of the time I knit after dinner and before bed, and hard to see. So I picked Blue green.

I do not have a problem with the pattern, even though one paragraph said shape arm holes and the other one said shape neckline. I basically wrote and chart out which row that I have to do what. No mistakes made. After I finished, Julie sent out an email with a chart because she received a lot of questions from people not ending up having the correct number of stitches. I thought, hmmm, I am not that bad and I am just an intermediate beginner. 

My problem came at the neckband. Somehow, in the middle, I knitted 2 rows the same and did not alternate and the smooth side ended up on the seam side. But the thing is I did not know until I am ready to seam. By then it was too late, I had a hard time unraveling and I do not think I have enough yarn to start all over. So I just seamed it the way it was. Any sharp eye knitter will see my mistake right away. I have to buy one skein of each to reknit the neckband. 

I knitted this in a size 2/46.75, and I am a US size 8. It is roomy and sleeve and garment length are both good. It took almost all of the 5 skeins of Le Petit lambswool and 6 skeins of Le petite silk and mohair. Throughout the whole time in the winter when I knit, the pale pink had been constantly on my mind, and none of the online yarn retailers in the US have them in stock. 

This is also a very time consuming garment, made to look very simple. It took me about 70-80 hours because of fingerling yarn. At the end, I was so about to be done, I kept saying I am kissing the pale pink one goodbye. But the more I look at the finished garment, the more I wish I have it in pale pink. I am still thinking about it several months later. Maybe my thoughts will change after I knit the Whelan cardigan, the other kit from Sweater Club 2020. That one I got it in pale pink. 

Update January 2021: I knitted one in very light pink.(Biches et Buches le petite lambswool and Le petit silk and mohair)




Comments