Traveling Knit Afghan review Squares 1-6

I always wanted to knit an afghan made up of squares of different patterns and stitches. There are quite a few offered on the market and facebook of various knit clubs. I never did take the plunge because I am not spending a year knitting one in acrylic. Until this one.

Lion brand is sponsoring this afghan and one of the lion brand yarn that can be used as a substitute is the Lion Brand fisherman wool. It is 100% wool and is $12.99 a skein. One skein is enough to knit about 7 squares.

First, I have to say I like Two of Wands’ designs a lot, just finished knitting a turtleneck, see previous review. But on the landing page of the project, at least when I first started, I did not know it is 24 squares with a border. The chart she had laid out with the last rectangle numbered 25 did not have the word “border” on it until later, until I discovered it after finishing square #10. 

I am not knitting this afghan in one color, so the problem is I am alternating 3 colors in different rows. I even sewn 5 squares to a row. Oh well. So now onto the squares.

Square 1
Square 1 is designed by Ms Alexandra Tavel of Two of Wands. It is a very simple pattern. No need to buy the pdf version. I knitted this in the color “oatmeal”. The finished product is very close to 10 X 10 inches, before blocking. This pattern can be found on ravelry: “Traveling Knit Afghan #1”.

Square 2
Square 2 is designed by Ms Sandra Gutierrez of Nomad Stitches. This is the most challenging pattern for a beginner (and I am at square 14). This pattern had mistakes to begin with, so I waited until all was corrected before I began. So this puts me behind schedule right away. For someone who has only knitted for 2 1/2 years, this is difficult. But I have to say Ms Gutierrez has very good video tutorials. I think I made a mistake somewhere in one of the “branches” but I decided not to unravel. I knitted this in the color “natural”. This definitely needs some blocking to get to the 10 inch square. I used a wet towel and iron it down. This pattern can be found on ravelry: “Traveling Afghan Knit square 2”.

Square 3 right side

Square 3 wrong side
Square 3 is designed by Ms Katie Moore of The Queen Stitch. As you can see in the pattern, I decided to buy this pattern instead of printing out multiple pages of advertisements. I contacted Ms Moore via her website and asked her if she is going to put the pattern on ravelry. Never heard back from her. So I purchased her pattern from a link on her website. I finished knitting this square and for the life of me I cannot see a crown on the right side of the knit, so I decided to use the wrong side as my right side. This is knitted in the color “oatmeal”.

I am also pretty annoyed by Ms Moore because after I purchased this pattern, she decided to put this pattern on ravelry. But I have no way to “link” it. Unless I purchase it again. So I do not think it is very good customer service here. Never heard from her if there is a remedy to this. This pattern can be found on ravelry: “Traveling Knit Afghan Square #3”.

Square 4
Square 4 is designed by Ms Kelly Brooks of Knitbrooks. This is a fun knit and will be a good knit for a wash cloth. This also comes out to very close to a 10 inch square without blocking. This is knitted in the color “natural”. This pattern can be found on ravelry: “Traveling Knit Afghan Square #4”.

Square 5
Square 5 is designed by Ms Stephanie Lau of All About Ami. This is not a bad knit, and Ms Lau provided the pdf free of charge. This comes out a little bigger than a 10 inch square. It is knitted in the color “oatmeal”. This pattern can be found on ravelry: “Traveling Knit Afghan Square #5”.

Square 6
Square 6 is designed by Ms Chantal Miyagishima of Knitatude. I have to say I like this flower/tulip pattern a lot, and I think Ms Miyagishima did a great job providing the flower stitch tutorial. Sadly, this turned out way smaller than a 10 inch square, less than 9 X 9. I had to stretch multiple times and iron it down with a wet towel on top. Still not exactly a 10 inch square. This is knitted in the color “oatmeal”. In my original color layout, this is supposed to be knitted in brown, but very hard to see the stitch and pattern so decided to knit in a lighter color. This pattern can be found on ravelry “ Traveling Afghan Knit Square #6’.

For review of squares 7 - 24 and the border, see future reviews.

Comments