Hawley sweater by Julie Hoover


Hawley sweater by Julie Hoover
So this year I am determined to learn cables, after the Ando cardigan with numerous mini cables, I decided I need to do one with “real” cables. So back to the Purl Soho website. I found this beauty designed by Ms Julie Hoover. I was skeptical after the Parker fiasco, but this is a level 2 out of 5. Plus it uses Purl Soho Good Wool at $12 a skein. This sweater only requires 4 skeins in my size. Really budget friendly.

I knitted this in the 2nd size (41 1/2) and I am a US size 8, 5 feet 3 inches tall. I have to say that this is a little longer on me than on the model, if I had to do this again, I would definitely take off one “twist” below the arms. I did have to make the sleeves shorter, and the cuffs too.

The sleeves are plain stockinette stitch and goes fairly fast. I also made mistakes twisting the cable the wrong way and had to unravel. The body uses US size 7 needles which makes it go pretty fast too
The color I picked out is what was shown on the model: Winter grass.

I think it is a stunning piece. I have worn it with a turtleneck underneath with jeans and nobody believed that I made it. I think the lighter color gives the cables a little bit more definition and more of a 3 dimensional effect. Also I bought the yarn when Purl Soho had a 15% off sale, so it only cost $40 to make. Plus the $9 pattern.

Just a note: This is a lovely undyed wool, so this is the color of the sheep. It comes in 5 undyed colors and Ms Hoover’s Parker cardigan uses the same yarn.

Hawley in Purl SoHo’s Good Wool, color Winter grass

Hawley sweater in Good wool
Color: Walking stick (undyed)
Update April 2022


Comments

Post a Comment