Evening in the Village turtleneck by Two of Wands review

Evening in the park turtleneck by Two of Wands
I found Two of Wands (Alexandra Tavel) on the Lion Brand website and immediately fell in love with a lot of designs. Sadly she uses a lot of lion brand/mass market yarn in her designs. But I decided to buy this kit from Lion Brand and see.

This is a very large and oversized sweater. I knitted this in the smallest size, shorten the length, sleeves as well as the turtleneck itself.  The kit comes with a free copy of the pattern, which she normally sells for around $5 on her website. It is just a black and white photocopy but good enough. It comes with Lion Brand Wool-ease yarn in Heather. I think I ordered a size which comes with 7 balls but I only needed 6. The kit cost $32.99 but I got it at 40% off plus shipping. Another economical project.

After knitting designs from Julie Hoover and Yoko Hatta, I am surprised to see that the little details are not here with Alexandra’s design. First of all, as somebody who has only knitted for 2 years, I was surprised to find out that the first stitch is not slipped to create a better edge since the bottom 2 inch on each side was not to be sewn together. I did not realized it until it was complete, so I sewed the sides together instead.

The pattern is very easy to follow and it is very warm. The yarn is also supposed to be machine washable although I have not done that yet. Sadly there is some piling, which is not surprised, but not as much as The Wool by We are knitters or Crazy Sexy Wool by Wool and the Gang.

I am interested in knitting this again maybe in Purl SoHo’s Good Wool, so it will not be so oversize, and hopefully with less piling.



Comments

  1. Why is it sad that she uses yarn that is accessible to more people? Knitters can sub out the yarn for a better quality option if they so wish to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you K.
      I just chose a pattern and buy a yarn that I like. I can't buy LB yarns here where I live, but it's easy to find substitutions. Many designers offer their patterns for free on their blogs.

      Delete
    2. I do not want to spend 40/50 or even 60/70 hours to knit something acrylic. This yarn started to pill after just 2 wears. The closest yarn store for me is 20 miles away. Finding substitutions online is difficult. I did before, it requires a lot of research on ravelry to see what other substitutions other people have used.

      Delete

Post a Comment