Quetzal vest by ’We are knitters’ Review


This is my fifth knitting project. This is the Quetzal vest by ‘We are knitters’. The color is grey. It is knitted in “The wool” which is a chunky 100% wool 1-ply yarn. I picked this kit because I thought I can wear this over long sleeve blouses and shirts at the office.  It took me about 7 hours of knitting time and sewing the 2 pieces together.

This kit includes 3 balls of The wool, a set of 15 mm knitting needles in wood, which I opt out, a label that you can sew on the finished product (which said knitted by myself), and a couple sewing needles. 

Cost breakdown: 3 skeins of yarn $72, the kit was $95 with the needles, $83 without the needles. The pattern ended up costing $11. I thought it would be 3 pieces knitted and sewn together, but it was 2 pieces. And the seam was in the middle of the vest, see picture below. 

I enjoyed knitting and making this vest a lot, I also ended up wearing it a lot at work. But I did not do a good job sewing the back center seam together, I also can feel the seam while sitting. I had plan all along that I will knit another one in another color, but I changed my mind now. Also the collar in the back is kind of flimsy, although I tried real hard to sew I tightly together. This is also a one size fits all. I am a size 8 on top and I think this vest can go up to a US size 12 if you are not large chested. This is also information that is lacking on the company website. 

According to the website, this is a east level kit. Is it easy? Yes the knitting part is east, but to sew the back part like it was knitted together sure takes some skill. Will I recommend this kit to a beginner? Probably not. 


(Note: you have enough leftover yarn to knit a Deja vu hat)

Comments